[Perldl] CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz released to CPAN

Chris Marshall devel.chm.01 at gmail.com
Sun May 19 11:41:58 HST 2013

PDL Users and Developers-

Announcing the latest CPAN Developers release
of CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz with 64bit index
support merged into our master development
branch.  64bit indexing means you can now
have multi-TB piddles in your PDL processing!

As you might imagine, it is important that we
have significant testing and use of the new
capability in order for the coming PDL-3.000
release to meet its goals of being a major
functionality addition/change release while
also supporting your current PDL-2.x codes
and algorithms.

This version does involve changes in the PDL
software at the binary level so it is recommended
that you install this in a separate sandbox for
testing and use.  [ If someone has a link or could
post clear instructions how to set this up, please
do so. :-) ].

Please report any problems early and often to the
PDL mailing list.  We can't fix things unless we
get those reports.

Enjoy,
Chris (for the PDL3 developer team)

Release Notes for PDL 2.006_03 --------------------------

 | BE WARNED:  This release includes an update to the internal,  |
 | C-level PDL API for PDL versions 2.4.10 and earlier.  This    |
 | will require that you re-build any PP or XS modules.  Do not  |
 | upgrade or install over an existing PDL installation unless   |
 | you are prepared to do so!!!                                  |

General Notes:

 * Another quick CPAN developers release

   - It is a snapshot of the current git development tree
     and everything may not work correctly or have complete
     documentation.

   - These release notes may not be fully complete.  Please
     see Changes (from the git log) for full details.

   - All tests may not pass, especially ones corresponding
     to issues in Known_problems.

   - Manual build/install is recommended although the
     cpan shell may be used by specifying the distribution
     path rather than just the module name, e.g.:

       cpan> get  CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz
       cpan> make CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz
       cpan> test CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz
       cpan> look CHM/PDL-2.006_03.tar.gz

Highlights:

 * 64bit index support is now configured if your OS and
   perl support 64bit integer data (IV size is 8 bytes).

   This is important technology for the coming PDL3
   release at the end of this Summer.  Please test/use
   and report any problems to the PDL mailing list or
   open a bug on our sourceforge.net project site.  If
   you open a bug ticket, please read the BUGS file in
   the PDL distribution for the essential information
   to include.

 * Some cleanup of Known_problems and Release_Notes.