[Perldl] CHM/PDL-2.004011_011.tar.gz released to CPAN

Chris Marshall devel.chm.01 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 08:03:22 HST 2013

Announcing another CPAN developers release in
the run up to the coming PDL-2.005001 stable
release this March.

This is the first CPAN appearance of PDL using
the newly standardized VERSION number: a
single decimal point string followed by eval to
convert to a floating point value.

It is believed that this change will not affect the
use of the various dependency-based tools as
far as installation of PDL.  If this is not the case,
please let us know so we can resolve any
issues.  Links to the mailing list discussion and
the article by David Golden are at:

  http://mailman.jach.hawaii.edu/pipermail//pdl-porters/2013-February/005340.html

Enjoy!
Chris

Release Notes for PDL 2.004011_011 --------------------------

General Notes:

 | WARNING!                                               |
 |   This release uses an experimental version of the     |
 |   PDL::NiceSlice module based on Filter::Simple that   |
 |   is being debugged for platform and module version    |
 |   issues.  To use the legacy code, just set your       |
 |   PDL_NICESLICE_ENGINE environment variable to the     |
 |   value Filter::Util::Call instead of Filter::Simple   |

 * Another quick CPAN developers release

   - It is a snapshot of the current git development tree
     and everything may not work correctly or have complete
     documentation.

   - These release notes may not be fully complete.  Please
     see Changes (from the git log) for full details.

   - All tests may not pass, especially ones corresponding
     to issues in Known_problems.

   - Manual build/install is recommended although the
     cpan shell may be used by specifying the distribution
     path rather than just the module name, e.g.:

       cpan> get  CHM/PDL-2.004011_011.tar.gz
       cpan> make CHM/PDL-2.004011_011.tar.gz
       cpan> test CHM/PDL-2.004011_011.tar.gz
       cpan> look CHM/PDL-2.004011_011.tar.gz

Highlights:

 * Switch PDL distribution version numbers to single
   decimal point string representation as discussed in
   http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/369/version-numbers-should-be-boring/

 * Fix compatibility issue with builds for perl 5.8.x