[Perldl] Installation from PPM problems

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 29 14:20:05 HST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Mertens"

> A fourth option, since you have Strawberry, is to simply install PDL using
> the CPAN shell. It'll take a little while to compile, but it should work
> fine. In my experience, that form of install it has worked without fail
> for
> at least two years. In general, since you are using Strawberry, a straight
> CPAN install is oftentimes a viable option.

Yes, and that's probably the *best* option if you want a basic, no-frills,
PDL installation.
However, it should be pointed out that if you install PDL this way on 64-bit
Strawberry Perl, you're still left with extra work to do if you want any of
PDL::Slatec, PDL::Minuit, PDL::Graphics::PGPLOT, PDL::Graphics::PLplot,
PDL::Graphics::OpenGL, PDL::FFTW, PDL::IO::GD, PDL::Gis::Proj, and PDL::GSL
(all of which are included in the PPM packages).

Cheers,
Rob