[Perldl] Updating PDL

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:19:26 HST 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Jim Magnuson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hitting a wall trying to update PDL on a Mac.
>
> I tried installing SciPDL. It says it installs successfully, but when I
> invoke perldl from the terminal, it says it's loading PDL v2.4.6.

You are mixing apples and oranges, and in this case, it is particularly problematic.

SciPDL installs (afaik) against Apple provided perl which is in /usr/bin. I am
going to assume that you already have PDL installed (perhaps you installed it yourself)
under /usr/local/bin. Check the paths.

Correct the paths, and you should be ok.

> I tried installing from CPAN. After the fairly long installation process
> for 2.4.10, when I invoke perldl, it says it's loading PDL v2.4.6.
>
> Should I somehow remove my old installation and start over?

If you want to use your own installed PDL, then, yes, that would be the way I would
go about it. Here is what I did. I installed PDL using macports. The current version
of PDL available on macports is 2.4.6. It gets installed in /opt/local/bin/ Then,
against macports advise, I downloaded the PDL 2.4.10 source and manually compiled it.
Because /opt/local/bin is in my path before /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin, everything
worked well for me.

--
Puneet Kishor