[Perldl] question about use64bitall perl

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 23 15:55:59 HST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Marshall"

> Is there such a thing as a "true 64bit perl" where
> the number of elements in an array would be
> indexed with, say, a 64bit int data type?

I've been told there exists compilers on some 64-bit systems where
sizeof(int) == 8.
One would expect that a perl built with such a compiler would index its
arrays with a 64-bit integer data type.

I don't have access to any "-Duse64bitall" builds of perl. I assumed they
would index their arrays with a 64-bit integer data type, but am unable to
check.

Note also that the *absence* of the use64bitxxx flags does not imply
32-bits. (You need to examine other flags, such as ivsize.) From the INSTALL
file that ships with the perl source:

Natively 64-bit systems need neither -Duse64bitint nor -Duse64bitall.
On these systems, it might be the default compilation mode, and there
is currently no guarantee that passing no use64bitall option to the
Configure process will build a 32bit perl. Implementing -Duse32bit*
options is planned for a future release of perl.

Cheers,
Rob