[Perldl] YAPC::NA 2012

David Mertens dcmertens.perl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 07:06:08 HST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM, David Mertens <dcmertens.perl at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everybody -
>
> YAPC::NA 2012, which will be in Madison, WI from June 13 through June 15,
> has officially opened up for presentations! You can read more on their
> website here:
> http://blog.yapcna.org/post/16510858837/call-for-presenters-open-for-yapc-na-2012
>
> JT Smith, the man spear-heading this year's YAPC::NA, gave a talk at the
> Chicago Perl Mongers last night. They are giving preference this year to
> real-world Perl apps and quintessential Perl 101 talks. JT's example talk
> last night was about a Perl web application that underlies a small-batch
> card and board game publishing business called GameCrafter. YAPC allows for
> multiple submissions of varying length including lightning talks (30s? 1
> min?), five minutes, 20 minutes, 50 minutes, and 110 minutes. The latter
> two are typically run as workshops and are more ideal for Perl 101 sorts of
> things.
>
> I believe that we should make an effort as a community to attend and
> present at this year's YAPC. I told JT that I am very interested in
> presenting about PDL and he suggested a strategy to maximize interest: give
> talks of increasing length. The goal of such a strategy would be to get
> people gradually more interested in PDL so that by the time the workshop
> rolls around, they are enthusiastic and willing to spend one or two hours
> learning PDL instead of doing something else at the conference.
>
> Joel Berger has already made a few suggestions, including "Modeling
> Electron Dynamics with Modern Object Oriented Perl" for 20 minutes, and
> some sort of XS 101 talk. I am interested in demoing some of my simpler
> Prima-based simulation scripts that I have used in my research, which could
> easily be a five-minute or a 20-minute talk entitled "Interactive Visual
> Simulations using PDL and Prima". Obviously I'd like to give a talk about
> my Prima plotting library, probably a 20-minute talk entitled
> "PDL::Graphics::Prima - A 2D Plotting Library written in Perl". Then, of
> course, there will be the "Introduction to PDL". I haven't decided on a
> duration for that yet.
>
> Now, there is no guarantee that all of these talks will be submitted, or
> even that we *should* submit all of these talks. I would be happy to give a
> lightning talk or two about some of my Prima stuff, or try to line-up two
> five-minute talks in a row: one on Prima and the next on Gnuplot, if that
> seems like a sensible thing to do. The most important thing is that we
> communicate our ideas, coordinate our efforts, and discuss everything with
> the organizers. I would really like the PDL intro to be scheduled after all
> the other PDL talks so that we can build up as much enthusiasm as possible,
> and JT promised to help schedule our talks in a preferable order.
>
> So, for this weekend, here are your tasks! :-D
>
>    1. Read the latest version of the PDL::Book.
>    2. Make plans to get to Madison this June.
> [...]
This is a follow-up to my original email from a few weeks ago. I realized
this morning that I had yet to submit one of my talk ideas because I had
been waiting to hear from others. I have submitted my second talk idea
(interactive data analysis with PDL and Prima) and would encourage
everybody to attend this year and submit talks on PDL!

David

P.S. Also, I am trying to find a way to get to Baltimore for mid-April
(announced here by Mike Burns), and I would encourage any PDL people on the
east coast to try to attend: http://dcbpw.org/dcbpw2012/