[Perldl] Google Summer of Code

David Mertens dcmertens.perl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 05:49:06 HST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM, David Mertens <dcmertens.perl at gmail.com>wrote:

> PDL People -
>
> The Google Summer of Code is starting to get rolling [1] and Perl will
> once again apply to be a mentoring organization [2]. At this time, we need
> to organize ourselves regarding the following:
>
> * Discuss and add some fun PDL ideas to the Perl Project Ideas page [3]
> * Find mentors among our ranks to oversee projects
> * Look for students (any student in college is eligible, including Ph. D.
> students)
>
> I only just started reading about this today so I am uncertain about a few
> things. In particular, I am not certain if there are deadlines for getting
> project ideas onto Perl's idea list [3]. I'm looking into that now and will
> send an update once I find out.
>
> If you have ideas, please make a note of them, but do not send them to the
> mailing list. I expect that we will want to build a wiki page for our GSoC
> ideas, and then either summarize and link to it from Perl's Ideas Page, or
> copy to Perl's Ideas page verbatim.
>
> Please reply if you are interested in mentoring, or if you are a student
> who would be interested in applying!
>
> David
>
>   [1] http://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012
>   [2] http://wiki.enlightenedperl.org/gsoc2012
>   [3] http://wiki.enlightenedperl.org/gsoc2012/ideas
>
> --
>  "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
>   Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
>   by definition, not smart enough to debug it." -- Brian Kernighan

More details:

Perl's efforts are discussed on #soc-help at irc.perl.org, so feel free to
sign-on there to join the discussion.

After chatting with rafl on irc, I intend to flesh out our ideas on our own
wiki page, but submit a decent per-project summary, including mentor, to
the Perl idea page. The deadline for that (i.e. when rafl will submit the
proposal to Google) is February 27. We have just under two weeks.

So, if you have ideas, please reply!

David