[Perldl] PDL 2.4.10 announcements hits slashdot

Craig DeForest deforest at boulder.swri.edu
Tue Feb 7 14:46:10 HST 2012

Slashdot is the grandaddy of the hive-mind social media.  (USENET is the great-grandaddy, but that's another story.  Now git off my lawn!)

There is a comment in there that, I think, hit it on the head -- Perl is in backlash because it was wildly popular during the go-go mid-to-late 90s, and a whole heck of a lot of really awful Perl code got written by, to be blunt, opportunist hacks who didn't actually know how to plan a software architecture.  When Python started being taught in the early '00s, it rose to prominence rapidly as a breath of fresh air.

While I now know a bit of Python, I still think of it as sort of the Pascal of the '00s.  Pascal was intended as a teaching language, and it was so good for that purpose that a whole generation of coders learned it.  OSes (dear god) were written in it -- even MacOS was.  Then people woke up to the fact it was really, really cumbersome for nontrivial tasks and migrated to something newer and shinier.  Unfortunately for the world at large, that newer, shinier thing was C++.