[Perldl] Re: Is PDL Abandonware?

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 30 17:30:43 HST 2006

> On 31/08/2006, at 1:46 AM, Jake Jaffe wrote:

.
.
> > The current Perl in GenePattern is 5.6,

PDL-2.4.3 and 2.4.2 do not work with perl 5.6. Unless you can update to perl
5.8, the best you can do (wrt PDL) is use what you already have.

>> and your PPM for that rev
> > works fine.

Once you've updated to ActiveState perl 5.8 the following should install
ActiveStat'e's ppm package:

ppm install PDL

Otherwise you could install the package from the Uwinnipeg repository:

ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/PDL.ppd

But neither of those packages have PDL::Slatec functionality - which you
probably need. I'll be building a package that *does* provide that
functionality (and more) - hopefully in the next few days.

>>However, it will be updated to 5.8 in a short time and
> > thus I will need to have a working version of PDL (specifically
> > PDL::Fit::Polynomial) for that.  I'm interested in porting more
> > recent version to ActiveState, but not sure if it's worth it,

Definitely worth it. Grab the latest version of ActiveState perl - it works
seamlessly with 'dmake'  (available from
http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ ) and MinGW.

>>  as
> > the main PDL website pdl.perl.org seems to be abandoned and there
> > hasn't been a new PDL rev in quite some time.  Anyway, if you can
> > offer any advice I'd be appreciative.  If I compile with MinGW can
> > I get it to work with ActiveState, or will it only work with MinGW
> > compiled Perl?

Building ExtUtils::F77 and PDL with MinGW will be fine for ActiveState perl
(5.8). MinGW's fortran compiler (g77.exe) will be found and used if the
MinGW\bin is in your path.
See the Win32\INSTALL file in the PDL-2.4.3 source (or view that page at
http://search.cpan.org/src/CSOE/PDL-2.4.3/win32/INSTALL ) for more complete
details.

>>  It seems like it might be hard to get ExtUtils::F77
> > to compile for ActiveState, too.

Not so - with ActiveState build 817 (or later), dmake and MinGW, you should
find that both EU::F77 and PDL build "straight out of the box" with 'perl
Makefile.PL', 'dmake', and 'dmake test'.

Basically:
1) Install dmake and add the location of 'dmake.exe' to your path
2) Install MinGW and add 'MinGW\bin' to your path.
3) Install AS build 817 (or later build, if such exists).
4) Build and install ExtUtils::F77-1.15. (Don't try an earlier version.)
5) Build and install PDL-2.4.3 from CPAN source
http://search.cpan.org/~csoe/PDL-2.4.3/

Cheers,
Rob