[Pdl-porters] need quick start sandbox PDL instructions

Joel Berger joel.a.berger at gmail.com
Mon May 20 03:50:29 HST 2013

I highly recommend perlbrew + cpanm for this task. First install perlbrew
(see: http://perlbrew.pl/):

$ curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash

(instructions for wget and fetch online). Once you do that, it will print a
command that should be added to your startup scripts. Finally make sure you
have cpanm installed by running:

$ perlbrew install-cpanm

Now that you have perlbrew installed, install a new perl to it

$ perlbrew available
$ perlbrew install -j 5 perl-5.18.0
$ perlbrew switch perl-5.18.0

In the above I have checked which perls are available, installed 5.18 (with
5 concurrent processes! choose n+1 where n is your number of cores) and
switched to that perl for later use. You'll want to be sure your shebang
line is

#!/user/bin/env perl

which allows bash to invoke your currently selected perl (works even
without perlbrew). Then install PDL,

$ cpanm -v PDL

I use -v for PDL since cpanm hides output and possibly times out without
it. When you are done testing, switch back to your non-dev perl, which if
you weren't using perlbrew before is just

$ perlbrew off

Cheers!

Joel